- 1 pound pasta of your choice
- For the pesto:
- 7 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
- 6 anchovy fillets – TFD uses only Ortiz brand
- 1 ounce golden sultana raisins
- 3 small cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons capers, well drained
- 2 ounces blanched almonds
- 2 ounces olive oil
- A sprinkling of coarse sea salt
- A liberal grinding of black pepper
- Cayenne pepper flakes to taste
- For garnish:
- Grated Sicilian Pecorino cheese
- Chiffonade of basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and place the almonds on a baking sheet. Roast just until the almonds begin to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatoes, anchovies, sultanas, garlic, capers and almonds, cayenne flakes, salt and pepper in the jar of your food processor. Add the 2 ounces of oil and process until finely ground but not pureed.
- Before being served the pesto should be left to rest a few hours at room temperature, so that the various flavors can bind to perfection.
- Drain the pasta, then put in a large serving bowl. Immediately add the tomato mixture and stir to combine. Serve with some grated pecorino and the chiffonade of basil leaves.