Citizens, blueberry pancakes are not just an American favorite – they are actually enjoyed all over Europe and nowhere more heartily than Mother Russia, where Chernika Oladi (as blueberry pancakes are known there) are a favorite breakfast treat.
What makes the Russian version very different than the typical buttermilk pancake is its use instead of kefir, a probiotic dairy drink that is consumed with gusto in Russia, Ukraine and the Caucasus region.
Kefir gives the same tang as buttermilk, but with all the probiotic benefits of yogurt. Kefir is a fermented milk drink made with kefir “grains” (a yeast/bacterial fermentation starter) and has its origins in the north Caucasus Mountains. It is prepared by inoculating cow, goat, or sheep milk with these kefir grains to ferment.
Traditional kefir is fermented at ambient temperatures, generally overnight. Fermentation of the lactose yields a sour, slightly carbonated beverage, with a consistency and taste similar to thin yogurt. Kefir is available in most grocery stores and health food outlets – you want to use the unflavored version for this recipe.
This will yield some truly delicious pancakes for you, !
Battle on – The GeneralissimoPrint
The Hirshon Russian Blueberry Pancakes – Черника Оладьи
- Total Time: 0 hours
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain lowfat kefir
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs, kefir and melted butter.
- Slowly add the flour mix to the wet mix, and stir until blended.
- Toss the last tablespoon of flour with the blueberries to coat them, and fold into the batter.
- Griddle by ¼ cupfuls of batter on both sides until golden.
- Serve with butter and syrup or preserves.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 344.63 kcal
- Sugar: 12.99 g
- Sodium: 425.31 mg
- Fat: 13.53 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.61 g
- Trans Fat: 0.36 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.23 g
- Fiber: 2.0 g
- Protein: 9.87 g
- Cholesterol: 123.86 mg
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Leave a Reply