Citizens, the majority of the recipes that I like to post here on TFD for you – my most beloved Citizens – are rather complex, because I prefer layered flavors and nuances of technique. Punjabi chefs are renowned for creating dishes of this type – but not all of them fall into this category!
That said, I figured it’s time to throw you all a metaphoric bone and give you a simple recipe to enjoy that has no compromise on flavor or technique!
Jeera Aloo is a typical vegetarian Indian dish of Punjabi origin, which is often served as a side dish and normally goes well with hot puris, chapatti, roti or dal.
Its main ingredients are potatoes (aloo), cumin seeds (jeera) and Indian spices. Other possible ingredients are red chili powder, ginger, coriander powder, curry leaves, vegetable oil and salt.
In its traditional form the dish is not hot, but it could be spiced up by adding powdered cayenne pepper. Other variations of the dish make use of sweet potatoes instead of regular ones.
Jeera aloo is popular as a bachelors’ dish because it is one of the easiest and fastest Indian recipes and it takes less than 20 minutes to be prepared. It is also broadly consumed during fasting days as it is a strict vegetarian dish.
Citizens, I have every confidence this will become a new favorite dish for you and those closest to you! 🙂
Battle on – The GeneralissimoPrint
The Hirshon Punjabi Fried Potatoes With Spices – जीरा आलू
- Total Time: 0 hours
- 5 medium-size potatoes, boiled peeled and cut into bite-size cubes, about 4 cups of cubed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafœtida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon thinly-sliced ginger
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed coriander seed (dhania)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (TFD recommends a not hot version such as Kashmiri chili powder or try hot paprika instead)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (hara dhania) to garnish
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Oil is the right temperature when cumin seeds crack immediately after being put in the pan.
- Add cumin seeds and asafetida after seeds crack add ginger and green chilies and stir for few seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add all the remaining spices, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, mango powder, and salt. Stir for few seconds.
- Add potatoes and mix well with Masala. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes. All the potatoes should be coated with spices.
- Turn off the heat and add cilantro. Mix it well and serve it hot.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 278.63 kcal
- Sugar: 2.56 g
- Sodium: 605.09 mg
- Fat: 7.72 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.57 g
- Trans Fat: 0.05 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.53 g
- Fiber: 6.62 g
- Protein: 5.83 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Good Item .
The Food Dictator
Thank you! 🙂
Good night friend