Citizens, your beloved leader is now on the final leg of my secret tour of Europe for the annual meeting of the hidden Illuminati of which I am a proud member.
Here in Oslo Norway, as we plot world domination (or perhaps not – you never REALLY know with us), it seems appropriate to end my culinary journey of the Continent with a delicious far-North Norwegian recipe to whet your appetites before the final revolutionary blow is struck (or not)! 😉
The possible origin for this recipe:
Battle on – The GeneralissimoPrint
The Hirshon Norwegian Reindeer Meat Cakes – Reinsdyrkjøttkaker
- Total Time: 0 hours
- 1 1/2 lbs reindeer meat (or venison), ground
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground cloves
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp clarified butter for frying
- VILTSAUS (Game Sauce)
- 200 grams mixed wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp. Linie Aquavit
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups beef or venison stock
- 5 juniper berries, crushed
- 2 cups heavy cream or sour cream
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 tbsp minced summer savory leaves
- 4 oz gjetost (Norwegian brown cheese)
- 3 tbsp currant jelly
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the sauce first.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, add the Aquavit and some clarified butter until sizzling. Add the onion and sauté on medium heat until clear, about 5-10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté further, another 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and let it simmer and reduce by half. Add the juniper berries, heavy cream and brown cheese and simmer another 10-15 minutes. Finally, add the currant jelly and season with salt and pepper.
- For the meat cakes: Place the ground venison meat in a large bowl, and add in spices, salt, pepper and potato starch, and mix into meat. Add the eggs and heavy cream and combine well.
- Shape into round patties, and fry them in a sauté pan about 5 minutes on each side. Add them into the sauce and let them steep under low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with boiled or oven-fried potatoes and lingonberries, and some delicious greens.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 1213.25 kcal
- Sugar: 16.16 g
- Sodium: 1485.12 mg
- Fat: 93.35 g
- Saturated Fat: 55.27 g
- Trans Fat: 0.43 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.44 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 50.63 g
- Cholesterol: 478.32 mg
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
The Hirshon Polish Hunters Stew – Bigos Myśliwski
The Hirshon Sichuan Bang Bang Chicken Salad - 棒棒鸡丝
The Hirshon Japanese Bamboo Shoots With Kinome and Miso - おちで木の芽和え
Sri Lankan Curry Feast - Lamprais
The Hirshon Thai Pork with Garlic and Pepper - หมูทอดกระเทียมพริกไทย
Disney Epcot Irish Lobster and Scallop Fisherman’s Pie
The Hirshon Chicken-Fried Steak With Cream Gravy
The Hirshon Ultimate Greek Tzatziki Dip - Τζατζίκι
Leave a Reply