- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup beef suet, ground fine combined with 1/4 cup leaf lard (if necessary, substitute equal amounts of Crisco)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound top round beef, cut into 1/4″ dice
- 1/2 pound pork shoulder, cut into 1/4″ dice
- 5 medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into thin irregular-shaped “chips”
- 1/2 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/4” dice
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 1/4” dice
- Minced Fresh Parsley and Minced Fresh Sage in a 2:1 ratio (TFD ADDITION: optional but recommended)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper (TFD ADDITION)
- Ketchup to serve
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the lard and suet with a pastry blender until it resembles pea sized crumbs.
- Add in the water all at once and mix with a spoon or fork until you have a clump of dough. It will be moist. Add in a little bit of flour to make it pliable and soft, if needed.
- Flour a cutting board. Take out a small fist size of dough and roll it out, about 1/4 thick. Try to make it in an oval shape.
- Combine potatoes, salt to taste and pepper, rutabaga, and chopped onion. Add beef and pork mixture. Season again, adding parsley and sage to taste.
- Take a 1 cup measure of the uncooked meat filling and place it on one side of the dough. Add 1 tsp. of butter on top of the filling, then fold the pastry over with your hands and crimp the edges so they don’t come apart.
- Repeat for the rest of the pasties and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pierce each pasty 3 times with a knife to vent steam.
- Bake in a 375F oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Either eat immediately or let cool, then wrap with tinfoil and place in freezer-safe bags and store in the freezer.
- Serve with ketchup, as the Yoopers do. TFD confesses to sneaking a few shakes of Tabasco into his ketchup when no one is looking.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 1418.11 kcal
- Sugar: 6.15 g
- Sodium: 743.26 mg
- Fat: 77.89 g
- Saturated Fat: 40.52 g
- Trans Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 127.41 g
- Fiber: 10.8 g
- Protein: 51.59 g
- Cholesterol: 170.63 mg