- 2 large eggplants, not the Asian variety
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus a little extra
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. freshly ground coriander seed
- 1/8 tsp. or to taste Hickory liquid smoke (TFD addition, optional but recommended)
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds for garnish
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for garnish
- Aleppo pepper flakes and minced curly parsley for garnish
- Eggplant Roasting Directions Steps 1-3 are from Serious Eats:
- If using a gas burner or grill (recommended): Preheat a gas or coal grill to medium heat and place eggplants directly over heat source. Cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until completely tender and well charred on all sides, 30 to 40 minutes. Wrap with foil and let rest 15 minutes. Continue to step 3.
- If using the broiler: Adjust rack to 6 inches below broiler element and preheat broiler to high. Place eggplant on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning occasionally, until charred on all sides and completely tender, about 1 hour. Eggplants should be very, very tender when cooked. Test near the stem and bottom ends. If a toothpick or skewer meets any resistance, continue cooking. (See note above.)
- Remove from oven and gather up foil, crimping it around the eggplants to form a sealed package. Let the eggplants rest for 15 minutes. Continue to step 3.
- Open foil package. Working one eggplant at a time, use a sharp paring knife to slit it open lengthwise. Carefully scoop out soft flesh with a large spoon and transfer to a strainer set in a large bowl. Once all eggplant is scooped, pick out any stray bits of skin and blackened flesh and discard.
- Leave to drain for 30 minutes, then whiz briefly in a food processor.
- In a serving bowl, stir the lemon juice into the tahini until it loosens up. Add the garlic and ⅔ of the chopped herbs and the ground spices. Add a squeeze more lemon juice if necessary.
- Mash the aubergines gently with a fork, and then stir into the tahini mixture. Top with the remaining herbs, Aleppo pepper flakes and the pomegranate seeds. Taste – you should get a decent hit of smoke in the flavor profile. If you don’t, use the liquid smoke as required to get the flavor profile you want. Pour a moat of oil around the edge and serve.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Calories: 205.29 kcal
- Sugar: 12.91 g
- Sodium: 19.2 mg
- Fat: 11.75 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.65 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.17 g
- Fiber: 11.98 g
- Protein: 5.28 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg