- 1 kale bunch, chopped after removing any tough stems
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 or more tablespoons shortening (Kenyan preferred), Chicken fat (TFD preferred) or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, about 1 tablespoon
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon powder (optional, but recommended)
- In a medium-large skillet, add shortening, fat or oil, onions, and garlic, and sauté, for 6 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent any burns.
- Then add turmeric, cumin coriander and paprika, and continue stirring with a heavy wooden spoon, about 2 minutes.
- Add bouillon powder; stir until all ingredients have been thoroughly combined. Simmer for about 2 minutes or more.
- Add in chopped kale, cayenne pepper, tomatoes and lemon juice.
- Continue cooking for another 7-10 minutes until the flavors have blended and the greens are cooked to your preferred doneness.
- Adjust seasonings with salt (it shouldn’t need much, if any thanks to the bouillon powder) and pepper, remove from heat, let cool and serve.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 126.15 kcal
- Sugar: 5.45 g
- Sodium: 386.67 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.05 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.91 g
- Fiber: 4.25 g
- Protein: 3.98 g
- Cholesterol: 5.63 mg