- ¾ cup shiro (white) miso
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup sake
- 6 tbsp. mirin (sweet Japanese cooking wine)
- 1 lb. boneless sashimi-quality black cod
- Sea salt
- Put all marinade ingredients in top of a double boiler and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Cook over simmering water over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Cut 1 lb. boneless sashimi-quality black cod into 8 equal pieces.
- Sprinkle sea salt over the fillets and set aside for 30 minutes. This will help get rid of the fishy smell and removes excess moisture from the fish.
- Wet a paper towel with sake and gently pat the fillets dry. Do not wash the fish.
- Pour half of cooled miso marinade into a shallow dish, add cod, then pour remaining marinade on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 days, traditionally it cures for a week!
- Position a rack in center of oven about 8” under broiler. Preheat broiler.
- Remove the marinade off the fillets completely with your fingers. Do not leave excess miso on the fish otherwise it’ll burn easily. Place the fish skin side up on baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Put in oven and broil until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Turn cod over and broil until fish flakes easily, about 3 minutes more.
- Serve immediately.
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 341.09 kcal
- Sugar: 28.15 g
- Sodium: 1984.46 mg
- Fat: 3.86 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.74 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.46 g
- Fiber: 2.78 g
- Protein: 26.41 g
- Cholesterol: 48.76 mg