- 5 tablespoons white sugar + 1 tablespoon Turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw) – TFD prefers his version, but the original recipe used 6 tablespoons of regular sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons bottled water, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (TFD actually prefers Meyer Lemon juice for this recipe as it is more complex and less tart than standard lemon juice, but go with your preference)
- 4 stems worth of fresh spearmint leaves (about 40 leaves, which is about 2 g) with the stems discarded, plus a few extra sprigs for garnish if desired
- 18 ice cubes
- 2 drops orange blossom water (Cortas brand preferred)
- 1 drop rosewater (optional – Cortas brand preferred)
- Add the sugar and 6 tablespoons of water to a small saucepan; heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Add the cooled sugar syrup, remaining ½ cup water, lemon juice, mint leaves, ice cubes, orange blossom water, rosewater (if using) to a blender. Pulse a few times to break up the ice and then process until slushy.
- Pour into 2 tall glasses, garnish with mint leaves if desired, and serve immediately.