- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup Shouro Mitten ሸሮ ምጥን – spicy legume blend (strongly preferred!) or just use chickpea flour
- 2 medium onions, pureed
- 1 roma tomato, pureed
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons niter kibbeh (Ethiopian spiced clarified butter) (strongly preferred) or use ghee with a blend of your favorite herbs and spices in it!
- 2 to 2 ½ cups of water
- 3 tablespoons berbere (በርበሬ) spice (use less or none of this depending on how spicy you like your shiro!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (optional)
- Bring a heavy bottom stockpot to medium heat. Add pureed onions to the dry pan, and saute until they become dry and start to take on color – about 4-5 minutes. Add the oil and berbere spice. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Next add tomato and chopped garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes more.
- Now start whisking in about half of the chickpea flour. Gradually start to add about 1 cup of water. Whisk in the remaining chickpea flour and an additional 1 cup of water. Whisk until mixture is very smooth. Add remaining ½ cup of water if you prefer your shiro a little thinner.
- Heat until the shiro begins to pop (simmer). Then add the niter kibbeh, garlic powder, sugar, and salt to taste, stirring until combined.
- Simmer for about 5-10 minutes over low heat until the flavors combine and the oil separates slightly from the shiro.
- Garnish with jalapeño, if desired.
- Serve with fresh injera.
- Category: Recipes
- Calories: 374.3 kcal
- Sugar: 4.3 g
- Sodium: 588.35 mg
- Fat: 34.49 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.08 g
- Trans Fat: 0.11 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.21 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 3.65 g
- Cholesterol: 16.38 mg