- For the dough:
- 180 grams powdered sugar
- 120 grams of butter (unsalted)
- 200 grams of Nilla® Vanilla Wafers (ground)
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 Tablespoons dark Rum
- One whole Nilla Vanilla Wafer per beehive to use as the bottom
- Rum and Egg Filling:
- 6 egg yolks – *Citizens, please note that this recipe uses raw egg yolks! For those who are nervous or immune-compromised, you can purchase pasteurized eggs to use in the recipe (or immerse an unpasteurized egg in boiling water for 1 minute, cool immediately and then use)
- 5 Tablespoons of icing sugar
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup Rum (traditional) or Captain Morgan® Original Spiced Rum (TFD preference)
- Sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg
- Melted dark chocolate for painting the inside and outside of the cookies
- Mix all the dough ingredients by hand until you have a dough consistency.
- First put a little sugar into the forms so that the dough won’t stick, then stuff the forms with the dough until shaped and pop them out. Set them aside. If you find the dough too sticky then add a little more of the ground wafers, alternatively if it’s too hard then add a little rum.
- For the filling, first mix the yolks and the sugar until light in color and then drizzle in the condensed milk while mixing, also add in the rum and continue mixing.
- In order for the filling to not seep into the dough or the wafer, it’s best that you brush the inside of the bee hive with melted dark chocolate, and also brush the top of the wafer with chocolate and let that dry before assembling.
- To assemble, spoon the egg cognac into the beehive and brush the edge with melted chocolate and place the whole Nilla wafer cookie on top. These can be placed upside down in an empty egg carton or right side up, but allow them some time to adhere.
- Once they are set, dip or paint the outside in melted dark chocolate. Make sure these are stored in a cool place or stay refrigerated due to the raw egg yolk inside.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Calories: 1283.48 kcal
- Sugar: 135.86 g
- Sodium: 354.5 mg
- Fat: 52.52 g
- Saturated Fat: 27.96 g
- Trans Fat: 0.98 g
- Carbohydrates: 175.69 g
- Fiber: 2.03 g
- Protein: 17.53 g
- Cholesterol: 332.38 mg