- 3/4 head Iceberg lettuce (don’t use the core)
- 1/4 head Boston lettuce (outer leaves)
- 4 ounces thick-sliced Black Forest ham, julienne cut
- 4 ounces cooked thick-sliced duck breast, julienne cut (substitute chicken, if you must, but the duck is much tastier)
- 4 ounces cooked thick-sliced turkey breast, julienne cut
- 4 ounces cooked thick-sliced roast beef, julienne cut
- 4 ounces thick-sliced Horseradish Cheddar Cheese, julienne cut
- 4 ounces thick-sliced Swiss Cheese, julienne cut
- 4 ounces thick-sliced Provolone Cheese, julienne cut
- 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced in quarters
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeds removed and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup California sliced pitted black olives
- Avocado Slices
- 8 anchovy fillets (Ortiz brand strongly preferred) (optional)
- Snipped Chives
- 16 ounces salad dressing (your choice, but I personally can’t imagine anything other than the Hirshon Thousand Island Dressing)
- In 4 large salad bowls, divide the lettuce.
- Add 1-ounce each of ham, duck (or chicken, if using), turkey, roast beef, cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, and Provolone. Place the quarters of hard-boiled egg around each salad bowl.
- Garnish with the black olives, 2 anchovies per bowl (if using), cucumber, tomatoes, chives and avocado slices. Allow those enjoying the Chef’s Salad to add their choice of salad dressings, as long as it’s Thousand Island.