- 1 cup yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. curry powder
- 2 Tbs. salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 lbs. boneless chuck, cut in 2-inch squares
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter (TFD addition)
- Sliced red and orange bell pepper (TFD addition)
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, trimmed and cut in 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 fresh coconut
- 1 mango
- 2 cups rice
- chopped peanuts
- chopped hard-boiled eggs
- chopped cucumber
- shredded coconut
- pineapple chutney
- pili-pili sauce
- In a 1-gallon Dutch oven or covered kettle sauté the yellow onions with curry powder, salt and black pepper in vegetable oil until onions are soft. Add boneless chuck. Cover pan immediately. Do not allow meat to brown. Simmer for one hour slowly.
- Add fresh pineapple and raisins. Pierce fresh coconut and drain the water from it. Add water to coconut water to make two cups and add to stew with peanut butter. Simmer until meat is completely tender, about 1 hour. Add mango peeled and cut in long strips. Add half the coconut cut into 1-inch squares or dominoes plus the bell peppers. Cook for ten more minutes. Correct the Seasoning. If desired sprinkle with additional curry powder.
- Cook rice in 5 cups boiling salted water. Serve the curry over the rice with the following accompaniments in small bowls: chopped peanuts, chopped hard-boiled eggs, chopped cucumber, shredded coconut, pineapple chutney and pili-pili sauce.