- 300g linguine (also called lingue di passero)
- Salt and pepper
- 10 tbsp olive oil
- 60g pitted black olives, chopped
- 2 small red Calabrian chilis, finely chopped (preferred), buy them here or use 1-2 small Thai bird pepper, minced
- 2 tbsp oil from the Calabrian chili jar (preferred) or Asian chili oil
- 1 tbsp salted capers, rinsed
- 6 minced anchovy fillets, Ortiz brand strongly preferred
- 60g fresh breadcrumbs
- Finely minced deep-fried basil leaves for garnish (optional, TFD addition)
- Add the linguine to a large pan of boiling salted water and boil until al denté.
- Meanwhile, heat half the olive oil in a pan over medium-low flame, add the olives, chilis, capers and anchovies, and cook slowly, stirring to dissolve the anchovies. Drain the pasta as soon as it is ready and toss this into the sauce.
- At the same time, heat the rest of the olive oil plus the Calabrian chili oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the breadcrumbs until slightly brown.
- Now mix the dressed pasta into the breadcrumbs. Fry for a few minutes, until a crust forms underneath. Invert on to a warm plate, so the crusted side is on top. Cut into portions with a knife and serve with optional garnish.