- Biquinho peppers (also known as Sweety Drop in English) – substitute other peppers as you see fit
- 1 cup of vinegar from a can of green peppercorns
- 1 cup of cachaça
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 4 cloves of garlic, lightly crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 nutmeg, halved
- 2 tablespoons green peppercorns from a can
- 2 small sprigs of washed rosemary
- 1 large Mason Jar
- Make the preserving liquid by combining the vinegar, cachaça, sugar and salt in a medium sauce pan, bringing the liquid to a boil and boiling for two minutes. Reserve, keeping simmering – it should have the consistency of a thin syrup. If not, reduce to that state, then simmer.
- Prepare a large mixing bowl by filling it halfway with cold water, then adding several ice cubes. In another saucepan bring at least 4 cups (1 liter) of water to the boil.
- If using fresh peppers, put the peppers in the boiling water and let boil for 20 seconds only. Remove from the heat, drain immediately in a sieve or colander, then plunge the peppers into the ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain again. Reserve.
- If using canned or jarred peppers, the boiling step may be skipped.
- Using a properly sterilized Mason jar or other canning jar, pack the jar loosely with peppers plus the remaining spices including the rosemary sprig.
- Bring the preserving liquid back to the boil, then fill the jar completely with the liquid. Tap the jar on a table or countertop a few times to make sure there are no air bubbles in the jar. Seal the jar and process in boiling water.
- When processing is complete, let the jar cool completely on a wire rack. Let the jar stand in a cool, dark place for at least two weeks before consuming, and keep uneaten portions in the refrigerator once the jar is opened.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Calories: 174.41 kcal
- Sugar: 7.32 g
- Sodium: 257.16 mg
- Fat: 0.43 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.23 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.56 g
- Fiber: 1.54 g
- Protein: 0.73 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg