- 1 lb. fresh Shanghai noodles
- 1 cup shredded watermelon radish (if unavailable, use daikon radish instead)
- 1 cup shredded cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion for garnish
- Meat Sauce:
- 12 oz. pork belly
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion
- 1/3 cup yellow bean paste (黃醬)
- 1/4 cup sweet bean paste (甜麵醬)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (TFD prefers to use Maltose)
- 1/2 cup Shaoxing cooking wine (紹興料酒)
- 2 cups pork stock (preferred) or water
- 2 tablespoons finely-minced salted fermented black beans (Optional – TFD addition)
- 2 teaspoons Chinese chili paste with garlic (Optional – TFD addition)
- Cut the pork belly into quarter-inch cubes or julienne and set aside.
- Cook the diced pork belly on medium heat in a wok until a small quantity of fat renders out. Add the minced garlic and scallion to the wok. Stir-fry the pork for another one minute or so then add the rest of the sauce ingredients into the wok.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 45 minutes. Stir the pork mixture occasionally to prevent the sauce from burning. It is ready when the sauce is reduced to a thick paste and the fat from the pork is bubbling.
- Just before serving, bring a large pot of water to a boil and plunge the noodles into the pot while separating them.
- Bring the water back to a boil and immediately drain the noodles. Divide the noodles into four bowls.
- Separate the shredded radish and cucumber into four portions and place them on top of the noodles. Separate the meat sauce into four portions and scoop it on top of the noodles. Garnish with the sliced scallion and serve.
- Please note that the sauce is very oily due to the rendered fat of the pork belly. Although the Chinese prize the fat (as do I), you may choose to scoop the meat and the sauce out carefully and discard the extra fat or save for use in other stir-fries.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Calories: 1029.64 kcal
- Sugar: 10.6 g
- Sodium: 2296.23 mg
- Fat: 53.25 g
- Saturated Fat: 18.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0.07 g
- Carbohydrates: 103.38 g
- Fiber: 7.22 g
- Protein: 32.86 g
- Cholesterol: 156.49 mg