- 1 gallon sweet apple cider
- 7 pounds tart cooking apples – cored, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon (freshly grated) cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons (freshly grated) nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon (freshly ground) cloves
- Sugar to taste (optional)
- In large kettle bring cider to boil. Boil uncovered until reduced by half. Add apples and bring to boil. Simmer uncovered, stirring often to prevent scorching, until consistency of soft marmalade and dark brown, about 3 to 4 hours. Stir in remaining ingredients. (TFD Addition – if needed, blitz the mixture with an immersion blender to make it very smooth)
- Ladle into hot sterilized pint jar, filling to ½ inch from top. Seal at once, then process in boiling-water bath 10 minutes. Serve as spread for toast, breads or waffles. Makes about 4 pints.