- 3 1/2 cups high-gluten flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon of dry yeast
- a dash of salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water and set aside.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Form a well in the flour.
- Add the dissolved yeast to the flour mixture.
- Mix well, adding a bit more flour if the dough is sticky, up to 1 cup.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a board or table/counter top and begin kneading the dough until it become smooth and stiff.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover, and let rise one-half hour in a warm place.
- Form the dough into a ball, flatten with the palm of your hand, and roll it gently with a rolling pin.
- Place it in 9″ floured baking pan.
- Dip the prosphora seal in flour, and then tap off the excess.
- Firmly press the seal in the center of the dough. Keep the pressure on the seal for as long as it takes to pray the Lord’s Prayer, then remove the seal very carefully.
- Cover the pan with a clean lint-free towel and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour until the bread doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and set it on a cooling rack.
- Allow the prosphora to cool completely before wrapping in plastic or aluminum foil for transport to Church.
- To make small prosphora, replace the above steps 7 through 10 with:
- Roll out the dough to a level ¾-inch thickness on a well-floured board, and cut out five rounds with a 3-inch biscuit cutter or the drinking end of glass. Transfer rounds to a floured cookie sheet.
- Re-roll the remaining dough to a level ½-inch thickness and cut out five 2 ½-inch rounds with a cutter/glass. Press the prosphora seal onto the top of each small round and remove carefully.
- Dampen the tops of the 3-inch rounds with water, and prick several times with a straight pin; use a spatula to place one of the smaller rounds, centered, on top each of the larger rounds; press lightly to “seal” the rounds together.
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Calories: 401.38 kcal
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 43.83 mg
- Fat: 1.15 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.18 g
- Carbohydrates: 83.88 g
- Fiber: 3.22 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg