- A whole chicken, about 4 pounds, quartered and with wings removed and frozen for making into stock
- 1/4 cup of Birch Syrup (Maple Syrup works if you don’t have it) You can order Alaskan Birch Syrup straight from the producer here.
- 1/2 cup Dijon Mustard, we prefer Edmond Fallon brand
- Rice Wine Vinegar, 1 tablespoon
- 6 Fresh Sage Leaves, minced
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Alaskan Sea Salt Flakes (or just use regular sea salt flakes or Kosher Salt)
- Mix together the syrup, mustard, vinegar and minced sage leaves and coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Put two bay leaves in a Dutch oven – arrange the chicken on top of the bay leaves skin-side up, top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle sea salt flakes on top
- Bake at 450 for about an hour in the non-covered Dutch Oven or until the skin is crispy and the internal chicken temp is 165.
- Remove and serve!
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Calories: 239.49 kcal
- Sugar: 19.38 g
- Sodium: 1185.83 mg
- Fat: 6.71 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.64 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.16 g
- Fiber: 1.93 g
- Protein: 12.78 g
- Cholesterol: 13.61 mg