My Citizens, it is a fact of facts that the unmatched glory of TFD extends not only to his knowledge of world cuisine – but also to the subtle and arcane art of competitive cooking events!
I am to this day the only member of the International Chili Society to win on the first-ever attempt at a regional event – I am the only one in 50+ years to ever pull it off and move on to the World Championships!
This weekend, I take the next step and enter the seething competition found on the pro BBQ circuit! !
In celebration of your challenging spirit, let me share a checklist I have assembled over many years of cooking on the Chili circuit and with additions for BBQ as well – it will save you much heartache and will let you focus on the event and cooking, not freaking out if you forgot something.
Without further ado – the most comprehensive checklist on the Web follows:
Chili/BBQ Cookoff Checklist
- ❏ Disposable foil pans
- ❏ Spray bottle(s)
- ❏ Meat thermometer
- ❏ Sanitizing bucket
- ❏ Aluminum roasting pans
- ❏ Aluminum foil
- ❏ Lighter fluid
- ❏ Organizing cart loaded up
- ❏ Flashlight
- ❏ Notebook and pen
- ❏ Sharpening steel
- ❏ 3 sets of laminated recipe pages
- ❏ Sunscreen SPF 50+
- ❏ Cell phone battery charger and cables
- ❏ Ash bucket
- ❏ Newspaper for charcoal starter
- ❏ Setup playlist for tunes
- ❏ Confirm you have your grill(s)
- ❏ Trash bags
- ❏ Lighter
- ❏ Matchkit
- ❏ Charcoal starter
- ❏ Hats for sun protection
- ❏ Antibacterial spray cleaner
- ❏ Toothpicks
- ❏ Bluetooth speaker for tunes!
- ❏ 2 heads curly parsley for meat garnish
- ❏ BBQ heat protective gloves
- ❏ Epi-pen for bee allergy
- ❏ Portable med kit
- ❏ Herbs, rub for tri-tip
- ❏ 3 paring knives for thigh cleanup
- ❏ Carving knife for tri-tip
- ❏ Tri-tip for chili, all chili ingredients
- ❏ Ingredients for People’s Choice Meal
- ❏ Rub, Butter, Herbs, Garlic, Chicken Stock for Thighs
- ❏ BBQ sauce
- ❏ BBQ brush set
- ❏ Tongs
- ❏ Hardwood charcoal (hickory)
- ❏ Smoking chips
- ❏ Grill cleaner
- ❏ Flavor injector
- ❏ Chicken thigh pans (2)
- ❏ Get Taskrabbit day before and evening of to get stuff loaded and unloaded
- ❏ Find ICS medal to strike unmitigated terror into competitors
- ❏ Triple check all ingredients are packed
- ❏ Load sign
- ❏ Bug Spray
- ❏ Several large bowls
- ❏ Portable tool kit
- ❏ Portable Generator
- ❏ Bleach
- ❏ Rubber gloves
- ❏ Beer for drinking + beer for marinade + waters, sodas
- ❏ Duct Tape
- ❏ 3 gallons of water
- ❏ Ice – lots of it
- ❏ Matches
- ❏ Fire Extinguisher
- ❏ Can Opener
- ❏ 3-Knife Set
- ❏ 3 Tent chairs
- ❏ Dishpan
- ❏ Pack Banner
- ❏ Charge generator night before
- ❏ Strainer
- ❏ Freeze Ice Gel Packs
- ❏ Several rolls paper towels
- ❏ 1 small ladle
- ❏ 1 Chili Pot with Lid, 5-8 quart variety
- ❏ 2 rolling ice chests plus AC cooler
- ❏ Spice containers
- ❏ 1 10 foot tablecloth
- ❏ Plastic Spoons for Tasting
- ❏ Measuring spoon set
- ❏ 1 long-handled spoon
- ❏ 3 Propane BU-6 Canisters + 2 burners
- ❏ Cutting boards
- ❏ 1 Heat Diffuser
- ❏ Scrubbers
- ❏ Square Sun Shade Sail 11 Feet 5 Inches
- ❏ Slant Leg Shelter Side Wall
- ❏ Check your BBQ / ICS Cards are in wallet
- ❏ 1 large ladle
- ❏ 1 rolling storage box
- ❏ Pack booth flair
- ❏ Coleman 10 x 10 Slant-Leg Instant Shelter
- ❏ Titan Elite Scissors
- ❏ Tables
- ❏ Pot holders
- ❏ Spice Grinder
- ❏ Liquid Soap
- ❏ Rent SUV (if needed)
- ❏ Extension cords – long ones
- ❏ Benadryl in case of bug bites
- ❏ Victory bottle of Champagne
- ❏ Business cards – you never know who you might meet!
- ❏ Set two backup emergency alarms to get up at 05:00 AM
- ❏ Return rental SUV, if needed
Battle on – The Generalissimo
✉ RECEIVE NEW POST UPDATES BY EMAIL!
Citizens, you have probably noticed we don’t use ads here on TFD.
YOUR support is what keeps the lights on – I can no longer afford to absorb the nearly $1000 per month it costs to keep the site running smoothly, including marketing expenses, etc.
You can make a difference!
Please consider making a one-time donation to help keep the site live and the posts coming – click here to PayPal Me a tip!
You can also show your support by listening to our podcasts, liking them, and sharing as you see fit – try them out here.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?